Monday, August 8, 2011

Grand Canyon!

So I've arrived in Georgia now, It's beautiful here! Really hot and muggy. Not quite as hot as phoenix which is nice but the humidity is pretty gnarly! the air is always really thick. Augusta is SUCH a beautiful town, its really green. The houses are epic too, they're all massive and super old! and all the people here talk with really southern accents. I almost feel like I'm living in a movie haha

Anyway.. The day before I flew out Cody's brother Butch and his wife Heidi, took me and they're daughter Addy up to the Grand Canyon! We left at 12, and it took us 4 hours to get there. Butch's car stereo was broken, so to keep ourselves entertained on the drive we played an alphabet game, where you start at A and have to get to Z, to progress to a new letter you have to spot a word somewhere outside the car on a road sign or another car, so you progress pretty fast until letters like Q or X or Z.. we were both stuck on Z, so basically the first one to see a Z word would win the game, butch got distracted just as we got to a 'no passing zone' and i took it out :) so stoked haha! we pretty much ate jerky and sun flower seeds and played the alphabet game til we got there.

Got to the canyon, and because we were so high up it wasn't too hot which was nice. Back in Phoenix there's never relief from the heat when you're outside, so it was so sick being outside in the sun and not dying from the heat. We basically just wandered around and had our minds blown! here's some photos we got from the day .....


This is Heidi, and Addy
 Butch and Addy
 Now you can kind of see the canyon..
 IT'S SOOOO BIG!
 Just being a tourist ha



 Me and Butch got off the track and climbed out this part that didn't have railings on it, Heidi was freeeeeaking out ha! It was mean though, I got a few snaps out there on my disposable.. I'll scan em on when I develop it.






 There were all these animals there too, I tried to get close but they kept freaking out



 Addy is the coolest baby, she's so chilled out! I've never seen her cry, she just laughs all the time. She's epic! so cute






So we drove back after about an hour and a half of checking out the canyon, got back at like 12 so I packed my things and then we went to a little party at one of Cody's friends houses where I said goodbye to all the people I'd met, then we went straight to the airport at 3 30, flew out at 5 30 from Phoenix to Charlotte in North Carolina. I basically had to walk straight from one terminal to the next and got straight on the other plane, which was this tiny little thing. No toilet, an aisle with one seat on the left and another with two seats on the right. And that flight took like half an hour. Straight up and down again. Got to Augusta at 2pm where I was met by Sonny who is the head of the rotary club who's sponsoring me, Billy who is one of my host parents, and then Rafael who is one of my other host fathers.

I stayed with Rafael, his wife Avita and they're daughter the first night. They took me to a steak house for dinner, where I got the smallest meal on the menu and still couldn't finish it haha and then to target where I got a 20 dollar cell phone. The prepaid plan I'm on gives me 1500 txts and minutes for 30 dollars! So cheap! Then went back to their place where I slept on a bed for the first time in 2 weeks :) Had the best sleep ever, which was good considering I didn't sleep at all since before we went to the grand canyon!! woke up to a coffee and toad in the hole, that avita made. So sick. Then came here to the place I'm living. It's a student village about 5 min drive from the Uni. I'm in a 4 bedroom apartment with 3 other dudes who are on the same scholarship program as me. Phillip is from denmark, he's studying computer science. Ben is from Nigeria and he's doing Medicine, and Gustavo is from Brazil, he's also doing medicine. The dudes are real sweet, me and Phillip walked to this mexican place last night and got some food, he's the man. And since then I've just been going to orientation things and getting to know the place. I'm pretty certain I'm gonna like it here :)

Will post soon with some more stories and photos from Georgia. I start Uni next monday so I'm looking forward to that. Hope your all doing well back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment